Comparing Baldwins & A Question

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:18:07 -0500

I get this on many Baldwin verticals.  Usually that "G" right above the =
break sounds awful.  You're right, no sustain and poor tone.  I think =
this is a bridge capping problem.  I have repaired MANY loose caps in =
this area on Baldwins.  However, I'm not sure if all these pianos =
exhibiting this problem have loose caps.  I haven't really gotten under =
one to press on it with a screwdriver, except for the obvious ones that =
I have repaired.

It's worth looking in to.=20

Mike Bratcher
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 6:50 PM
  Subject: Comparing Baldwins & A Question

  Tuned three Baldwin consoles today ... distinctly different in some =
ways ... all owned by the U.S. Army ...

  1. Brand new, just delivered. Good thing I ate my Wheaties be for =
going to work, what a wrestling match. Found it hard to pull in many of =
the plain wire unisons.

  2. Ancient POS PSO Hamilton. Sounds lousy even when tuned its best. =
Hammer shanks appear to be made of rubberized wood, very wiggly despite =
repinned flanges, etc. Lotta sloppy action parts. Worn.

  3. Also old Hamilton. Found it flat in the bass, sharp in tenor =
treble, but it tuned up like a dream, unisons just fell into place, =
sweet as you please. And the action feels well regulated and solid, =
despite no real service for at least a few years.

  The #3 had a funny thing. The first 3 or 4 notes after the treble =
break had a distinct, bad sound when the hammer struck them .... as =
though someone were simultaneously striking a drummers wood block with a =
hard mallet. Not much "musical" sound or sustain.  The hammers have =
plenty of felt and were recently shaped by yours truly. There is nothing =
touching or interfering with the strings. Applied needle to hammer ... =
no change at all. Tried attacking the hammer like an OJ crime scene =
reenactment ... no change.   ???????