Thick or Thin?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:59:20 -0700

Wim,
We should not forget what the first priority of the felt is: to quiet the
action. Although, the Thin felt will not compress as much, using it will
enevitably cause the action to be a bit noisier. Steinways have always used
thick or even extra thick punchings. There are ways to pre-compress the
thick felt, so that the piano will stay better in regulation. My personal
preference is with medium or thick. Usually, so that I have a mimimum of
punchings under the felt. Too many card/paper punchings tend to make noise,
themselves. Just a thought.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)