Rosler ... Store Prep

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:36:58 -0800

Alan,=20
Tapping the loop down or more than that?
Tap the loop down.
Make sure the wire is straight from the hitch pin to the bridge, across =
any duplex or bearing bar on the plate. I had a Baldwin that the strings =
went 1/4" off to the side and back to the pin. They will try and creep =
towards straight so you must put them where they are trying to go.=20
Kink on the string? What kink? Seat string to bridge and pull up against =
capo?=20
Tap down below the capo about 1/4" on uprights.
The wire as it bends around the termination points, has a large radius. =
When you tap, it bends nicely around the point. All this is done with a =
brass rod, 3/16", about 4" long and a light hammer. Gently tap the =
string in the direction that would make it tighten around the =
termination points. Do this about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the bridge pin or =
capo bar. On the bass string upper termination points. The wire will =
move over almost a mm as soon as you tap it if this hasn't been done. Do =
not drive the string into the bridge cap. Just pushing the string =
sideways quickly and firmly will accomplish the same thing. It kinks the =
wire at that point and the speaking length is straighter.
Then straighten the coil.=20

AND/or, tap down. The wire comes out of the becket. around the pin and =
should split the hole in half  on the other side. This is the tightest =
the coil can be, perpendicular to the pin. A Kawai I just did, the =
becket hole was on the other side of the first loop. The notes were =
dropping 20 to 30 cents flat as I straightened them. What =
formula/percentage do you use to calculate the overpull?
trial and error
I like to bring a piano up to pitch instead of having it end up sharp.
Pull the action? How come? What is "the settling?"
The tapping of the strings at the hitch pins and the bridge. In an =
upright, the action is in the way. If you have only one or two notes to =
deal with, Joe Goss's tool for string seating works well with the action =
in.
"Tighten" bass strings?
Only if you think they need it, now's the time. Do they buzz, are they =
lifeless?=20

Did I cover it all? I tried. I never talk about the other tech and what =
they should have done, blah, blah. I tell them what I'm going to do and =
what the results should be for X amount of $. Like one tech found his =
own card in the piano after explaining to the owner how this should have =
been done and that by the incompetent previous tech.
Ahh, the taste of shoe leather.

Keith R