Altenburg/Samick Grand action problems

Nelson. Gene (PWA) nelsong@SacCounty.NET
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:22:04 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2B387.4F0A8389
If you want to help your client try this: Bring two other techs with you to
the clients home and evaluate the piano. Give the client a written statement
of exactly what the problem is, all three techs sign the statement and the
client now has some ammunition that they can use to get the ball rolling on
their warrenty that the paid for.

-----Original Message-----
From: kam544@gbronline.com [mailto:kam544@gbronline.com]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 14:14
To: Mike McCoy; Pianotech
Subject: Re: Altenburg/Samick Grand action problems

... The dealer made it clear to me last time they would not put any more
money into this piano so I told the cust I would be happy to fix the
offenders or take the action home but I would have to charge for it this
time. She told me it had a lifetime warranty and the dealer would have to
pay me...

Mike McCoy RPT...

Since
1) the dealer has declared no payment will be made for further services
rendered,
2) you have declared to the customer you would have to charge this time for
your services, and
3) the customer has declared the dealer would have to pay you
there is a stand-off/deadlock in place.

All three of you have your own interests at stake understandably, but
unfortunately, that is not going to cause anything to happen to resolve the
situation for this customer.

One or more will have to yield to some degree and do what's needed, whether
it is fair/equitable or not. It has become a matter of professional
conscience, and who's it going to be that will rise to the occasion to
rectify it.

Since you are the third tech to be involved, there will be no option as to a
shortcut repair method either. My limited experience with Samick underlever
flanges in particular, were that careful and deliberate repinning was the
only option to free them up permanently.

You are either going to have to choose to be involved, knowing that you
might come out on the short end of the stick, or choose to bow out, and
leave it to someone else to handle. Either way, it's your choice. I've been
there and have made both decisions at different times and different
circumstances.

Best to you on the decisions to be made,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild