Clavichord Tuning

JStan40@aol.com JStan40@aol.com
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:52:54 EST

In a message dated 01/06/2003 9:23:35 AM Central Standard Time,
pianotech-request@ptg.org writes:

> Jean, can it be that the hammers have moved during the transportation?
> Some hammers might be hitting the wrong strings.
>
> Marcel Carey, Sherbrooke, QC

Marcel,

This is not the likely scenario here.  There were, during the hey-day of the
clavichord, both fretted and unfretted instruments.  That is to say, those
with fewer strings than keys, and those with the same number of strings and
keys.  Those with fewer strings (fretted) often had keysticks shaped to have,
for example, C and C-sharp striking the same string, with the tangent placed
to make the correct sounding length for the desired note.  The assumption was
that C and C-sharp would never be needed at the same time, so there were
economies of size and materials present, though not necessarily man-hours in
design and construction!  Tuning accurately to produce this or that
temperament on such an instrument would depend entirely upon whether the
dimensions were JUST SO VERY correct, which may not be very likely.  I'd just
try to get it into the ball park and live with it, myself!  These fretted
clavichords were meant to be either cheaper, smaller or just more
portable...........or all of the above!

Regards,

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL