finding pianos/was:lessons learned

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:39:52 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/03 5:04:32 PM, tune4u@earthlink.net writes:

> When I darn a piano to heck but the people otherwise are interested
> in pianos, I do not charge them and I help them, if they desire, in
> finding another piano.

I have found pianos for maybe a dozen clients over the past three years or
so, and more than half the time I never hear from the client again.   This is
not after darning a piano to heck, either.   They call me, asking if I know of
any pianos for sale; I tell them I'll put them on my list.   I find out what
kind of piano and price range they are looking for, and a month later, I find a
piano which fits their criterion, so I call them to let them know where the
piano is.   Up to this point, all is cordial, they are grateful, I feel like
I'll be gaining a long-term client, and I'm doing two parties a favor.    (The
seller and the buyer)

At this point, one of two things happens: either they buy the piano and I
never hear from them again, or they evidently don't buy the piano and I never
hear from them again.

I had a client whose piano I tuned for 3 years who called to ask me to find a
piano for her daughter.   I found the perfect piano for her: she wanted a
vertical piano with dark wood, and I found her this Acrosonic, and it was cheap!
 I gave her the info on the piano and I never heard from her OR her mother
again!   I called both of them several times over the following week.   I still
don't know if she bought the piano, or not.   On that little deal, I not only
lost a new client but an old one, too.

Another woman asked me to find her a baby grand, and when I called her with a
lead on a little Samick 3 months later, she was so grateful. She couldn't
believe that I actually remembered her and took the time to call her.   Gave her
the info, and never heard from her again.   She has since ignored my tuning
reminder cards.

I didn't even ask for a finder's fee or seller's fee on these transactions.
I thought it would be enough to gain a client whose piano I would be tuning
for the next 10 years.   All these pianos I found were in good condition at a
good price.   I could do no more for my own mother.

One last story:   a man called to offer me his piano for free.   A Wurlitzer
spinet with a nice cabinet and bench.   I picked it up and did some action
work on it, since it wasn't playing very well.   I put about two hours into it,
levelling the keys, adjusting the letoff, even reshaped the hammers.   I sold
it for $350, and even included a FREE TUNING with it.

Never heard from the client again.    He'll probably call me in 5 years
wanting his free tuning.

I know someone will suggest I've done something to alienate these people, but
for the life of me I can't imagine what it is.   All relations are cordial
and everything seems just fine up to the point that they go incommunicato.
(sic)

So, Homey don't play that game no more.   I still tell people that I'll put
them on a list, but I don't call them no matter what I find.   It's not worth
it.

Tom Sivak