Billings Flanges = Brass Rail

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 12:37:39 -0400

Comments below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Keith McGavern" <kam544@gbronline.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: Billings Flanges =3D Brass Rail

> At 7:51 AM -0400 6/3/03, Farrell wrote:
> >...  If you don't explain that a new block is the correct fix, they=20
> >might otherwise think that tapping the pin is the best=20
> >industry-recognized solution for a loose tuning pin.
>=20
> Terry,
>=20
> I fail to see this reasoning that a new block is the correct fix for=20
> a loose tuning pin. Tapping, thin CA glue, a type of shim, oversize=20
> tuning pin: These are viable, recognized industry solutions for a=20
> loose tuning pin.

Yes, they are viable, recognized industry solutions for a loose tuning =
pin. I agree. I utilize all of these techniques. But I will not =
guarantee them. I will tell the piano owner that I do not know for sure =
why the old tuning pin is loose. Is it just from normal wear? Is the =
block cracked? Is the block delaminating? Has the block been doped? Even =
if I shim tuning pin X, I won't know for sure it will hold for years =
because perhaps the block is cracked. I will happily do the repair, but =
I won't guarantee that repair, and I won't come back for free if the =
repair fails.
=20
> As to a installing a new block: What if in the drilling a mistake is=20
> made on just one hole where the tuning pin doesn't hold. Should one=20
> discard the entire block and start with a new one, or rather, don't=20
> you feel one would definitely make an attempt at utilizing first one=20
> of the necessary repairs mentioned above to salvage an otherwise okay=20
> item?

Absolutely. But because I installed and drilled the block, I will =
guarantee the block. If my shimming or CA repair of the one or two loose =
pins don't hold up, I will return and attempt another fix at no charge. =
But only because I put the new block in and it was my sloppy drilling =
that resulted in the loose pin. That's my fault and I need to fix it. If =
I can't fix it with CA or shims or whatever, then I would need to =
replace the block again.
=20
> >In the case of the brass rail, the correct fix is a new rail or=20
> >conversion to wooden flanges. Other solutions are band-aids and=20
> >carry no guarantee. ...
>=20
> As to a guarantee, if a repair is done within the parameters that=20
> befit the situation, it's guaranteed to hold up. It's only when work=20
> is not performed to those standards that work might be considered=20
> less than satisfactory and could result in call backs. The call backs=20
> lead to learning for an open mind.

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. In =
some cases, such as an old piano with loose tuning pins, CA is a very =
reasonable repair for the person that is trying to minimize $$ input =
into the piano. But if it did not work, would you then go back for free =
and try oversized tuning pins or whatever? Sometimes CA has very little =
effect.

JMHO.
=20