Billings Flanges = Brass Rail

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 12:45:38 -0500

At 12:37 PM -0400 6/3/03, Farrell wrote:
>... I do not know for sure why the old tuning pin is loose. Is it
>just from normal wear? Is the block cracked? Is the block
>delaminating? Has the block been doped? Even if I shim tuning pin
>X, I won't know for sure it will hold for years because perhaps the
>block is cracked. But I will not guarantee them ... I will happily
>do the repair, but I won't guarantee that repair, and I won't come
>back for free if the repair fails.

All you are essentially saying then is you won't guarantee *any* type
of repair when you are unable to ascertain whether it will work or
not. That makes perfect sense to me.

I guarantee the repairs I do in which I am confident I have diagnosed
the problem correctly, and in which I am confident the repair I have
chosen will work.

In the beginnings of my career as a piano service person, I have on
many occasions over inflated my abilities, believing I could
resurrect every piano I met. Alas, I have learned from my boastful
days, such a thing was not to be.

Now much later in life at servicing pianos, informing the customer of
my abilities in either situation described above is something I
attempt to do at all times.

I see no disagreement with you, just some clarification of conversation.

Keith McGavern