Obit

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 00:17:37 -0500

Saturday June 7 / 03 , one of the oldest and highly regarded techs.
in Canada, at least, passed on to his reward on a higher plane.
He was " Bill Weiss " of Winnipeg. He was tech. at the U. of Manitoba,
U. of Brandon, CBC, Concert Hall, and many individuals, such as
teachers,
dealers, etc. Bill was 91 yrs. last Dec. 23 rd. Actually worked when he
was 88 yrs.
old, and would have loved to work at his chosen craft to the end, but
for poor
eyesight, and hearing. Quite frail in his last few years, but his
faculties remained
excellent. Also, maintained a sense of humor , in the face of all his
physical problems.
As one of the local RPTs remarked,  " an end of an era."  On the outside
, he seemed
a cantankerous old guy, but those of us who knew him well, knew that he
was really
pretty much a soft touch, and would give you all the time and whatever
else you might
need, whether it was piano related or not.  In our profession, it seems
that most of
our colleagues are like that. He was always willing to share knowledge,
of which he had
plenty. He was married 67 years, and a tuner/tech. longer than that. He
didn't ask his Ida
to marry him till he knew he could support her. Told me one time that he
felt this an obligation.
Several skilled tuners went thru an apprentiship with him. I personally
feel pleased that I was able to share time with him, in the later years
of his life. Our profession is poorer for losing him.

Carl