Pitch raise

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:29:34 EDT

It's called wear and tear.  Mileage.  In an effort to educate customers abou=
t=20
their pianos needs, I've taken to handing out the "Pitch Raising" flyers put=
=20
out by the PTG.  Most get it, and are surprised at the amount of stress put=20=
on=20
a piano by tensioning the strings--not to mention the stress put on your=20
arms, shoulders and ears.  Maybe we all need to spend more time in the gym..=
..:-)

For me, the bottom line is why should I break my butt trying to fit extra=20
work into our regular service call time frame??

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 6/17/03 7:27:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,=20
tune4u@earthlink.net writes:

>=20

> One reason I charge for a pitch correction (1/2 tuning fee) is to help fix=
=20
> in the customer=E2=80=99s mind the need for regular tuning. In fact, I tel=
l people=20
> that if I tune the piano regularly and it ever needs a pitch correction, I=
 will=20
> do it for free. I tire of tuning pianos that are 3-? years between tunings=
.=20
> It=E2=80=99s an education and motivation thing, for me, as well as fair co=
mpensation=20
> for the work, no apologies.

> =20

> BTW =E2=80=9Cregularly=E2=80=9D is annually for stable pianos in fairly st=
able=20
> environments, e.g., Acrosonic spinet in a climate controlled home. Otherwi=
se it is 2X per=20
> year, e.g., Hamilton studio in a church that only has heat and air for abo=
ut=20
> 6 hours a week!

> =20
>=20
> I've seen it said several times that for a tuning fee, there is an allocat=
ed=20
time.  If tuning doesn't take up the whole time other things (voicing, tight=
en=20
screws etc.) will be done for that same "tuning fee".  However, many say tha=
t=20
if they do a pitch raise, still within that time frame, that they charge=20
extra for it.=20
=20
Why is it that a pitch raise requires the extra charge when everything else=20
done during the allocated time is included in the normal charge? =20
=20
dave
_____________________________David M. Porrittdporritt@mail.smu.eduMeadows=20
School of the ArtsSouthern Methodist UniversityDallas, TX 75275