What's the Story & Clark? AND ...

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:13:10 -0500

Potential client has already paid me to evaluate one piano (the deal
blew up when I pronounced it a good piano at a fair price, they told the
seller that, and the seller started asking for more money =85 go figure)
=20
Anyway, they are looking at a 1961 Storey & Clark console but,
understandably, they wanted a basic impression of that brand before they
cough up my evaluation fee. They read Larry Fine=92s write-up on Story &
Clark and came away confused. I read it and also got confused. There are
mixed messages there and it=92s unclear what vintages he is talking =
about
sometimes =85
=20
I only tune 2 S&Cs and they are both studios in blah shape.=20
=20
Soooooooo =85.. any feedback from this great network would be most
appreciated. All I know is, they said the cabinet is in great shape and
beautiful and that it =93looks brand new inside.=94 The seller is a =
nearby
dealer who also has a part-time job as a village idiot. He wants $1,200
for the thing. ANY THOUGHTS I CAN PASS ALONG?
=20
AND =85 I have a new way of working. If I evaluate a piano for a
prospective buyer, I am not going to make any statements or even
=93uh-huhs=94 or =93ums=94 in the presense of the seller. Just look at =
it
without giving any indication of my impressions and findings. Then speak
only in private to the client.=20
=20
I=92ll bet you all have learned this long ago! I=92m a little sloooooow =
when
it comes to the obvious.
=20
Alan R. Barnard