Bolduc Block - Bit Size - Torque

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:16:38 EDT

Terry writes:

> How do you determine how much [tuning pin] angle? Isn't this determined by
> each individual plate - and may even vary from one section of a plate to
> another (agraffe section vs. capo section)?

With the coil whatever distance from the plate I want (usually about 1/8") I
want the wire to take off in a slight upward direction toward the front
bearing point -  enough to encourage a tight coil, but not enough to allow the wire
to wrap over the bottom coil. This pin angle is sometimes less than the
original.

Theoretically it could vary from one section to another, but practically, I
haven't noticed it to be necessary, at least on the limited number of makes I
restring. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Another good idea is to make sure lowering the angle will not cause the
tuning lever to whonk on capos or plate struts. Some are taller than others.

Bob D