Maybe they should all try to tune their own pianos....

Elian Degen J. elian_degen@cantv.net
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:26:49 -0700

Yes, I did several years ago=20

Two customers, both very good pianists, one is professional, the second =
amateur

I did encourage them a little, I showed them how to tune unisons, =
because in both cases they had ocassional string s breaking and I did =
not wanted them to bother me. it seems both at different times did not =
resist the tentation of trying to do a whole tuning.=20

Same experience, yessssssssssss. that's it. They learn to appreciate it =
more when they find out it is not so easy...

Elian Degen

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 21:18
  Subject: Maybe they should all try to tune their own pianos....

  Hi all,=20

  I sent a post a couple of weeks ago about going out to tune a piano =
for a gentleman who had attempted to tune his own instrument.  He was =
actually a very nice guy, and played the piano quite well, and because =
he had a pretty muusical ear, he thought it would be a piece o' cake.=20

  I got a call back from him yesterday telling me what a great job I =
did, and how "in tune" the piano sounds.  That kind of phone call is =
always nice to get.  But it got me to thinking...was it because he had =
attempted to achieve a good tuning on his own that he appreciated the =
work of a professional tuner?  =20

  Maybe some of our less appreciative customers should be given a tuning =
hammer and allowed to try their luck.  Anybody else ever have this =
experience?=20

  Dave Stahl