Help with Steinway Model..

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 06:23:38 -0500

MessageHey Phil,

Larry Fine has some specifics regarding these models in his book in the =
chapter on "buying a used piano - Steinway (NY) models". I see that some =
Fine indicates whereas that is indeed what the Steinway catalogs state, =
but in practice the actual models varied by about an inch - so indeed =
you could run across a model A1 and A2 of the same length. I guess part =
of that "unique personality thing". Must have been fun fitting the same =
size plate to pianos that varied by an inch - or maybe the plates varied =
by an inch also. I wonder, was any effort extended to put the oversized =
plates into the oversized cases?

Terry Farrell

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf Of Phil Bondi

  I seem to be getting differing strong opinions as to what model this =
gem might be..and I appreciate those opinions, publicly and privately.

  If I have a chance to go back tomorrow and see this piano again, is =
there any way to better define what model this piano is? Is there a =
place to look..underneath..on the plate..in the action cavity..that =
might help the 'better informed' reading this thread to help me =
determine what model this piano really is?

  Thank you for the help,

  -Phil Bondi(FL)
  phil@philbondi.com=20