Steinway bridge..was Hamamatsu.......

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:40:35 -0700

Ric B asked: "That would make sense I suppose... so then, you are saying =

they did this to avoid using a dogleg in the bridge itself ?... Ok.. :)=20
whats the benifit of avoiding the dogleg then ?"

Ric,
I think all Steinway bridges are Vertically Laminated. Soooo, in order =
to change the configuration of the bridge profile, they would have to =
make a new "clamping caul". This would be labor intensive and expensive, =
in the eyes of the manufacturer. Hence, the reason for "fudging"!<G>=20
Either that, or, it's possible that a very competant rebuilder rebuilt =
this puppy and re-arranged the scale to fit the existing bridge, =
somewhat. I do this, on occasion, and the result is exactly what you =
have noted.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police