Advice on softening rock-hard hammers, please.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:46:22 -0700 (PDT)

Dear list,
    I am about to attempt softening some
metallic-sounding hammers on a "rebuilt" Chickering
1908 grand in a church. Much talk here recently has
been on squeezing with pliers, which I would like to
try, but not much specific information has been
provided on where, and how, this should be done. {
Please help me with this information. )
   I would also appreciate some opinions and
guidelines regarding the "hammer softening" liquid
which Pianotech sells.
    Your advice would be gratefully appreciated,

     Sincerely,
     Gordon