Tuning Tests at the Yamah Academy

Marcel Carey mcpiano@videotron.ca
Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:08:48 -0400

Ric,

Well, no, I do think that there has to be some pitch raise done. But,
4 Hz is a lot. I guess what bothered me is the way the detuning was
done. The piano actually was never tuned at 436 or 438. Only middle
strings were brought down and then unisons done without a second pass.
So when I actually did the first pass I over compensated for what I
thought was right and ended up too sharp. So, for me 2Hz is OK, but 4
Hz just takes me a little more time. I prefer the way the pianos are
detuned in the PTG's tuning exam. That's my preference since it leaves
with a more stable tuning in th end (less soundboard movement to
affect pitch).

Just my 2¢,

Marcel