Renner.... and other stuff

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:28:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/2004 3:14:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,  VOCE88@aol.com
writes:

Dear List,

     When rebuilding a Steinway, we have been using  Renner actions for years
now. The fact that they have parts that are so  consistent, with such low
tolerances, and have different dimensions available  allow what we feel is the
best possible replacement. In fact we use Renner for  Masons, Knabe, etc.

     The only thing constant in this world, though,  is change. What are
others using today? Are you still happiest with Renner?  Has anyone tried Abel
shanks and flanges?

Thank you for sharing your expertise constantly,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Philadelphia, Pa.

      Hi  Rich
   I find that after years of trying different parts  on Stwys my current
favorite parts are the Stwy Factory whippens becasue they  fit every Stwy ever
made nicely & regulate as per originals. The  Renners are taller than the
origianals by 1 mm or so which drives the capstan  farther down into the key &
potentially off the magic line. I also find it  annoying to have to replace the
wooden reg buttons with thicker ones to  accommodate a non original jack angle.
The best application for the Renner  whippen works best in combination with the
17 mm knuckle placement they  sell. I truly believe that is what the whippen
was optimally designed for &  in this application works well.
  I use predominantly the Abel 16.5 shanks on stwys  & the 18mm on the
Masons. They are now made out of maple & the center  pin has not moved. I find the
Renner center pin to be moved slightly out toward  the hammer thereby changing
the action spread ever so slightly. Granted  it's small but I don't wish to
compress an action that has a narrow spread  anyway.  The able shanks are
thinned which assists weight management &  the maple is a nice addition which also
keeps the part very stiff. I prefer it  to hornbeam.
  Rich after hanging renner parts side by side to this  described application
I find that this set up reg better & handles the  weight better with less
friction.
  I find that the renner whippen for masons is a nice fit  but on occasion
have used the Tokiwa part. Depending on the vintage Mason the  whippen flanges
will vary in height & the renner at times won't be the best  choice. No one can
fault renner quality but watch out Abel. I haven't tried them  yet but Wally
has the new Stwy all ample all original dimension whippen  available now.
   As for hammers I've hung my last  set of anything hard pressed & Ronsen &
Stwy hammers are my weapon of  tonal choice. The wurzen & VFG felt is so  good.
   I would also consider the Isaac  but inconsistencie seems to plague that
product.
   Regards
   Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com