Oh yeah.... I forgot about hammers

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:44:05 -0500

  Matthew wrote:
  "My whole feeling about this is that if the Steinway action isn't replaced
with Steinway parts, it is no longer a Steinway."

  You are obviously a product of the hundreds of millions of dollars
Steinway has spent in the last 100 plus years of media hype.  I would NEVER
use Steinway parts.  Been there, done that, sent them back.  That would be
like buying a Cadillac but paying for it with the price of a Bentley.  I
will stick with my Renner made Steinway parts.  While Renner is getting
almost too expensive, they have a high quality level that I doubt Steinway
can match even today.  I do know that when Steinway's new owners took over
they shut down the action plant because of quality control and had Renner
make their action for some time until the plant corrected its problems.
Oops, I wasn't supposed to say that.....sshhh!

  I will stick with Renner hammers and action parts until I find something
equal in quality and tone and lower in price.  I would never use a set of
hammers I must soak in acetone and melted keytop to even hear the piano.  If
I drop a piano hammer on a table, I expect it to bounce from the kinetic
energy stored in the felt layering and pressing.

  As far as it not being a Steinway---The scaling, soundboard, plate, case
design continue to be Steinway's.  Those do not change.  You could put Betsy
Ross on the nameboard but restored it would still sound like a Steinway.

  D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
  www.thepianoworld.com