Renner.... and other stuff

Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:25:27 -0700

Going to a 17 mm knuckle that is now standard for NY improved parts will
often correct any weight problems.  Unfortunately, it can also overcorrect.
Some older Steinways with very low key ratios do not need a 17 mm knuckle
and putting one on will yield an action ratio that requires compromises in
dip, blow or both, and sometimes a significant amount of backleading in the
upper ranges of the piano if you are not careful to use an appropriately
matching hammer weight.   I find it's better to assess the action for the
knuckle dimension that yields the desired action ratio (unless you are
planning to relocate the capstan) and make a choice from there.  I prefer
Renner parts (though I have used Abel shanks on occasion especially when an
18 mm knuckle dimension was called for on a Mason or Baldwin) and don't
think that makes it not a Steinway if you use them.  There was a period at
Steinway when many pianos were coming off the line with Renner parts in
them.  You might ask Lloyd Meyer about that.  Anyway, considering the
design changes I am party to these days, a substitute part seems pretty
tame.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Original messages:

I have switched back to the new improved New York parts and have been very
happy.  I have far less weight and geometry issues FWIW.
They are very consistent, 6 sets of hammers shanks and reps thus far.
Regards Roger

and

My whole feeling about this is that if the Steinway action isn't replaced
with Steinway parts, it is no longer a Steinway.

Matthew

When rebuilding a Steinway, we have been using Renner actions for years
now. The fact that they have parts that are so consistent, with such low
tolerances, and have different dimensions available allow what we feel is
the best possible replacement. In fact we use Renner for Masons, Knabe, etc.

The only thing constant in this world, though, is change. What are others
using today? Are you still happiest with Renner? Has anyone tried Abel
shanks and flanges?

Thank you for sharing your expertise constantly,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Philadelphia, Pa.