replacement hammer butt springs

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:09:53 -0300

Hi Terry,
My understanding was, that the felt hadn't been rinsed properly, and something acidic, was left in from the felt making process.
The corrosion, on the point of contact was plain to see.
I seem to recollect, that it was mainly Story & Clarke and Lowery, that had the problem. They would supply a new spring rail, and pay labour as well, for the fix.
I seem to remember the actions being Pratt Read?

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 9:44 PM
  Subject: Re: replacement hammer butt springs

  Funny you should mention bad felt John. Just last week I spent a day doing some refurbishing on an old original M&H upright from the 1890s - quite respectable shape for its age. I was putting all new felt on the keyframe and leveling keys, but the lady wanted to minimize costs, so the key bushings were OK and I figured I would not do anything with the keypins. Upon removal of the center rail pin punchings, I noticed that the center rail keypins were all corroded just at the bottom where the felt punchings were. The front key pins were fine - no corrosion. But the center rail pins were trashed - I had to replace them. Bottom line though, I can only assume the two rails had been exposed to similar environmental conditions for the past 110 years, but only the center rail pins corroded - likely the felt punchings I presume? I wonder what it could be about the felt that would cause corrosion like that.

  Terry Farrell