Damp Chasers

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:02:00 -0700

Mathew said: "Up here in the Pacific Northwest there is hardly a need =
for the whole Dampp Chaser system."
=20
Matthew,
I TOTALLY disagree!!!!!!!!!!! Granted, on the coastal areas, the Rod and =
Humidistat are generally all that is required to do the job. HOWEVER, =
Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington areas NEED the WHOLE SYSTEM! Also, =
Olde buildings, (or new ones for that matter), with Steam heat or Hot =
Water heat or in the floor heating or in the ceiling heating, definately =
need the WHOLE SYSTEM, IMO. I approach it a scientifically as possible, =
using a Temperature/Humidity gauge that has memories. Many times, I'll =
leave the gauge IN the piano for a week or two, if I suspect a problem =
with the environment/client. Then I come back and check it for extremes. =
If it's outside the basic boundries of 40%-60% humidity and 50-70 =
degrees, the piano needs a system. (Period!) If the client doesn't want =
to do the system, then, I reiforce the thought that the piano will not =
stay stabel enough to satisfy their musical ear and should be tuned more =
often. Whatever the client decides is fine with me. If they choose to do =
nothing and still want the piano to be rock solid, I refer them to the =
worst tuner in the area!<G>

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I