Mehaffey pliers

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:18:38 -0500

For lost motion in any piano I have always wanted a nut driver like tool
that you could fit over the top of capstans  (with the action out of the
piano) and turn them how ever much you think is needed.   With all the
capstans exposed just go from key to key with more or less the same
amount of turn.  Then finish  with the action back in with  the standard
tool hopefully needing 1/8 turn or less.   Such a tool would be worth 30
bucks to me.   Maybe something like those hammer shank reducing tools
that have four jaws with a bolt that makes them narrower or wider but
modified so they wouldn't scar the brass edges.

---ric

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Kline [mailto:skline@peak.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 6:41 PM
To: skline@peak.org
Subject: #9, Thurs. LAS: mostly tool swap (Pat)

Lisa wrote:
I have been presenting a Spinet Wrangling class at the local chapter
meetings.  Last week at the Orange County chapter, those Mehaffey pliers
were mentioned as the only thing that will get to the capstans that are
hiding behind the flange rail on some Wurlitzer spinets.  Otherwise, one
must remove the key to adjust the capstan.  Good thing you don't work on
any Wurlitzer spinets...