Hammer Strike Line-Grand

Gordon Holley gwholley@hi-techhousing.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:12:28 -0500

List. =20

I'm experiencing a problem with the strike line for the last 10 notes in =
a grand, from E7 to C8.  I have replaced all wippens, shanks and hammers =
in this piano.  This problem strike line existed before I started this =
partial rebuild. =20

Starting at C7 I can play chromatically up the scale to Eb7 and there is =
no problem.  Play E7 and continue on up to C8, and I can hear the pitch =
of each note, however there is more of a thud and no sustain.  Just like =
the original problem with the old hammers.

I pulled the action out, in the high treble, just a very little bit, and =
again played E7, same thud, and none of the notes above E7 sounded with =
any improvement.

I took a new shank, pushed on a left-over new hammer, same size as the =
C8, removed the E7 shank and hammer, mounted the "test" shank with =
movable hammer, placed the hammer out farther very slightly from the =
capo bar, pushed the backcheck back so as not to interfere with the end =
of the test shank, pushed the action back in to the dags, and played the =
E7 key. =20

NO improvement.  I continued to move the "test hammer" out on the shank =
and play the note, each time with no improvement.

I repeated this step on all notes above E7.

=20

I have checked the bridge and it is still solid on the soundboard with =
no cracks in the glue

joint.   The strings are perfectly in place around the bridge pins, =
hitch pins, and position under the capo bar to the tuning pins. =20

=20

            This Farrand 5' Grand was built  around 1923, has never had =
the strings, hammers or any major re-work performed on it, and I've had =
the piano since 1953.

=20

            Another local piano technician (a friend) and I have =
discussed this problem and attempted to reach a resolve, but to no =
avail.  Does anybody have some additional suggestions or tests that I =
can perform on this piano?.

=20

            If you have any questions that I can respond to, please fire =
away.

=20

            Many thanks in advance

=20