digital micrometer

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:35:37 -0700

Hi Terry,
You can find economy machinist tools at Enco
<http://www.use-enco.com>. An inexpensive digit
outside micrometer is listed for $22.25 (model
600-2311) if price is your priority. As with
almost anything else, you get what you pay for -
the economy mics will most likely be out of
adjustment faster and not stand up as well over
the long haul. I would recommend a Starrett,
Brown and Sharpe, or Mitutoyo for micrometers -
some of those models are even close in price to
the NewOctave, although they don't have digital
readouts. If a mic is accurate to .001", I would
be wary as most of the available accuracy
standards for the other mics are in the .00005 -
.00008" range. If the difference between sizes of
centerpins and music wire is .001", I would want
to be able to trust my measuring tool to at least
.0001".

Respectfully,
Jon