Moving Knuckle position with the Kaplan Jig

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:50:33 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2004 12:09:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/12/2004  2:58:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no  writes:
>
>       The real point is about  moving knuckles not capstans & I still
>     maintain  it's easier to make this modification than moving
>      capstans. Besides in the case I'm dealing with that is what's
>   required. Never the less levearage is leverage it doesn't  matter
>     if you get from moving the knuckle or the  capstan. If it wasn't so
>     why make the suggestion to  move the capstan. No offense Ric, but
>     this answer  seems a bit contrary IMO.
>
>    Dale

Well  Dale... if moving the knuckles is "appropriate" to this job, then
by your  own admission leverage is not just leverage after all.
  > well Ric if I need a slight leverage change to carry a heavier  hammer
then I can determine if this less non difficult change of moving  knuckles will
solve my "leverage problem" As opposed to the much more  difficult job
changing  capstan location. Who missed the point?
 Both items are going to reduce blow distance, increase dip, reduce  friction
& allow for more hammer weight to be carried which is the point of  the
original post. I think . I'm so confused.
 I'm just trying to stay on that topic

The sum
leverage created by the three levers can easily enough be over all the
same in one perspective, while being different in another... and the
resulting feel to the action, or dynamics of the touchweight will
vary... so I have to stay with... leverage is not (just) leverage, and
that it does matter where you decide to make a change... if you first
feel the need.
  >huh?  This is very unclear, at least to me.

No offense taken Dale... but it seems like you missed the point  :)  IMHO
>> Really?
     Dale

Cheers
RicB