Moving Knuckle position with the Kaplan Jig

Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:56:07 +0200

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>     Well Dale... if moving the knuckles is "appropriate" to this job,
>     then
>     by your own admission leverage is not just leverage after all.
>
>   > well Ric if I need a slight leverage change to carry a heavier
> hammer then I can determine if this less non difficult change of
> moving knuckles will solve my "leverage problem" As opposed to the
> much more difficult job changing  capstan location. Who missed the point?

Obviously you did.. for the third time in a row.  Look Dale... I dont
want to provoke you or anything... but  all I said is that if your only
goal is to make a heavier hammer <<lighter>> and dont care about the
other things that happen when either capstan or knuckle position are
altered... then it doesnt matter what you do... but that said... other
things do occur and the total result is significantly different in
either case... so leverage is not just leverage.

>  Both items are going to reduce blow distance, increase dip, reduce
> friction & allow for more hammer weight to be carried which is the
> point of the original post. I think . I'm so confused.
>  I'm just trying to stay on that topic

And I am simply pointing out that there is more involved.

>     The sum
>     leverage created by the three levers can easily enough be over all
>     the
>     same in one perspective, while being different in another... and the
>     resulting feel to the action, or dynamics of the touchweight will
>     vary... so I have to stay with... leverage is not (just) leverage,
>     and
>     that it does matter where you decide to make a change... if you first
>     feel the need.
>
>   >huh?  This is very unclear, at least to me.

I dont know how to state that more clearly.  Are you really trying to
say that there is absolutly no signficant differnce created in an
actions touch when either the capstan or the knuckle is moved... as long
as the total <<leverage>> is maintained ??

>     No offense taken Dale... but it seems like you missed the point
>     :)  IMHO
>
> *>> Really?*

yes, but I dont want to get all confrontational about things.

>      Dale
>

>     Cheers
>     RicB

RicB