Moving Knuckle position with the Kaplan Jig

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:57:27 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2004 5:01:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
fssturm@unm.edu writes:

--On  Wednesday, August 11, 2004 8:45 PM -0400 Erwinspiano@aol.com  wrote:
   HI Fred
   Thanks for the on topic response. I appreciate your points  & I think your
words re-enforce  again a  strong case for  this type of jigs availability.
These are some  points I hadn't thought  about. It would be such an arsenal for
action geometry & weight control.  Really. I was shocked at how easy this was.
   Regards
   Dale

>   How many of us would be interested in a jig  like this? Let me know.
> What would it be worth to purchase a premade  jig from Spurlock or Farrel
> or anyone willing to make it.? Just  curious    Cheers
>    Dale Erwin

Hi  Dale,
I'd be very interested. There are a lot of cases out  there where knuckle
replacement would be a good thing, if the job were  fairly easy and
predictable, and it sounds like the jig does that. I'm  thinking
1) All those replaced Steinway actions where the poor tech was  well-meaning
and was reproducing the original geometry - how many  thousands of those are
out there? I confess to contributing a couple or  three myself. A shame to
throw away all that work and all those parts to  get it right, when a simple
morning's work could get it just as  right.
2) Lots of knuckles out there that are impregnated thoroughly with  graphite
grease, shanks otherwise not too bad.
3) Hard knuckles. A lot  of those coming out of China at the moment,
especially troublesome when in  connection with player units (customer buys
piano to provide nice  background music for parties. Hammers pretty hard,
music too loud.  Customer adjusts player to pianissimo. Return noise turns
out to be louder  than music. I've come across a couple cases of this in
recent days -  return noise is exacerbated by the fact that the solenoids
retract faster  than a pianist's fingers).
So availability of such a jig  would be a real boon to the industry, IMO.
As it stands now, I shy away  from such jobs because they are so
unpredictable. Sometimes the old  knuckles come out real slick and easy, and
the new ones fit right into the  old groove. Sometimes. With this jig, you'd
have complete  control.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New  Mexico