Drying pianos prior to CAing block. ( How dry I am ??????? )

Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:30:27 +0200

Michael Spalding wrote:

>Thump,
>
>That was my post about winter/summer. Typical Wisconsin indoor humidities
>are 70% in summer (or 50% with AC), and 30% in winter.  There's no need to
>get it dryer than what you expect it to experience in the future, and if
>you're concerned about possible damage from drying, then don't even go that
>far.  How long?  I don't know.  Do you dry the soundboard on a summer
>project before repairing cracks and separated ribs?  Do this at the same
>time.  Maybe you could monitor tuning pin tightness as you go - when
>they're loose and not getting any looser, you're dry enough.
>
>Mike

Grin... not to beat a drum with a busted thumb... but did we ever decide
for certain whether pins get tighter or looser in pinblocks when things
get dry ??  Dont I remember something about an analogy that had a
balloon with a bunch of circles drawn on it....?... when it expands...
so do the holes (circles) ....

Cheers
RicB