lacquering hammers

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:45:38 -0400

greetings!

YES those who are easily exasperrated by newbies can skip this if necessary.
but up until now i've successfully avoided lacquering hammers and managed to
brighten everything via fine-filing and ironing hammers. a good chunk of my
experience and schooling has been on asian pianos that rarely if ever needed
brightening anyway. however, i have a customer who just bought a kawai ge-20
and wants it to sound like a pearl river - ?!???!? so, i'm heading into the
realm of lacquering hammers. what are some tips and things to avoid? what
brands/types do you recommend for lacquer/thinner? btw, this is a
last-minute service request, so i need to be able to get my supplies
locally, at a hardware store or wherever.

sorry if this is a repeat question and i'm showing my newbie hide here; i
really have tried searching the ptg website for any archives or articles and
it's not so friendly in that sense. or i'm an idiot - completely possible!
thanks in advance for the help!

-ilex