Backchecks or Donald Duck... what 'll it be?

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:33:40 +0200

On 17-aug-04, at 16:00, Joe Garrett wrote:

> Andre' said: I mean that after the motion of drop, you should be able=20=

> to stick a 2mm
>  stick between the tail of the hammer and the top of the back check."
>
> Andr=E9 oorebeek,
> I've been reading all of this retoric about improving the tone/power=20=

> with the "correct" position of the check. To be honest, I am a bit=20
> sceptical, but I'll try it.
>  However! The general premise is based on the assumption that the=20
> damned hammer is bored absolutely correct. AND, that the hammer is=20
> absolutely the proper, over-all length, in regards to the proper=20
> action geometry.
>  In a perfect world, I'd have no problem taking this magical 2mm=20
> distance as gospel, but in this screwed up world of pianos, that just=20=

> ain't so! Just my inflated US$ worth of, hopefully, common sense, here=20=

> people.<G>
> Best Regards,
>
> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares R I

Hello Joe,

Just a question :
Do I give the impression on this list, after all I have written in=20
about ten years, that I am a fake? a bullshitter?
Is telling our colleagues about a very nice trick a gospel? retoric? Is=20=

that me?
If that's the case, I'd better turn my attention to reading Donald Duck=20=

again.

smile......(; >))

I would give you the advice to take a fairly new Yamaha grand as a good=20=

example.
Listen to the tones and try to find a weaker one.
Then pull out the action, depress that key, go through let off and=20
drop. Hold the key down on the front punching and look at the distance=20=

between the underside of the hammer tail and the upperside of the back=20=

check.
If that distance is exactly 2 mm, you can't do much to change that tone=20=

with the back check height.
However, if the distance is clearly bigger or clearly less, and it=20
often is the case, you need a special tool to adjust the back check=20
height.
Shove the thing back and listen carefully.
You will absolutely notice a big difference.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -