back check, a magical mystery tour.

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:25:15 +0100

Bernhard Stopper wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> the energy of the hammer returned to the backcheck and the energy of
> the key to the keyframe become synchronous with the said 2 milimeters.
> If this two blows are synchronized, there is a higher pulse wave
> running through the instrument giving more additional energy to the
> string than when this two blows are time offset (and may cause phase
> losses when reaching the string).

Well... I dont know for sure whether or not what you say here is
actually true... tho for the moment I will take your word for it. But it
sure is the sexiest explanation I've heard to date.  Thanks.

> As a second effect of this two blow synchronization at the 2
> milimeters is that the player gets the impression when he reach the
> key bottom (what produces a reaction force on his finger) and the blow
> of the hammer backcheck (what produces also a reaction force on his
> finger) that he touches the string with his fingertips what gives him
> more inspiration while playing.

Grin.... this is a bit more out in the woods for me... how does this
<<after the fact>> synchonization (which by the way would seem to be
dependant upon the relative speeds of the key and hammer being always
such, regardless of how hard the player in fact actually plays, always
staying synched) give the sensatsion that the fingers actually come in
contact with the string ??... that is to say... in what way or sense
does the pianist experience this ?

> kind regards,
>
> Bernhard Stopper

Cheers