new Bechsteins

Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:38:38 +0100

Hi Dale

Actually... I do have an opinion... and I think its probably pretty
close to at least a signifcant chucnk of the truth of the matter.

Bechsteins do not utilize the duplex segements as many instruments do to
help in the overall sound picture. Indeed the front segment is so short
as to be essentially non-existant in this regard.  To compensate for the
lack of high end that especially the front duplex yeilds, they need a
harder hammer. I personally find that the exact voicing level that
yeilds a <<pleasant>> Bechstein sound is really really narrow.  It takes
nothing to get the hammers too soft... and nothing sounds deader in my
book then a soft voiced Bechstein. So voicing down needs to be done
carefully, and needs maintaining if the piano is used a lot.

Other reasons for brilliant voicing may get into scale design /
soundboards issues... but I dont have enough Bechstein specifics on any
of those to comment.  As far as the general european tone quality.....
... hmmm you certainly find folks here that like em bright.

Cheers
RicB