Reality Check

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:38:24 -0500

Time for a reality check-

Let's review the facts, (the real ones this time, NOT the assumed, the =
politically challenged, or the philosophical and biblical references).  =
Review:  I NEVER said I "wanted to swing a tuning hammer on him", or =
"it's okay to swing a tuning hammer", or "blows to the head with a =
tuning hammer" or any other misquoted version that have evolved.  Makes =
it sound like I carry around a baseball bat.  The accurate quote was "I =
postured myself for a quick rap..."  and "Very happy that didn't become =
necessary".

Visualize yourself alone in an apartment with a hairy guy in a dress and =
heals a half block behind the Las Vegas Strip near a topless bar.  Now =
imagine you are tuning while he is standing behind you.  Now imagine all =
of the possibilities that could occur in such a scenario.  Now push the =
mute button on the "political-gender" debate.  This is Las Vegas, not =
Des Moines.  Things can be different here.  People make money dressed =
like that.  Some may have honorable thoughts, others don't and you would =
never know.  Personally I prefer not to find out.  My primary interest =
was to get the piano tuned and get the hell out of there.  You BET I =
postured myself with my tuning hammer.  I kept my eyes moving and my =
elbow positioned to move fast.  It makes a good story later but not =
while you are tuning.

This qualifies as one of those "you had to be there" scenarios.  Being a =
member of the human species was never the point.  In this application =
"It" refers to the ridiculous and the futile. "It" is a perfect =
adjective to describe such a situation where there isn't even an attempt =
to imply an identity.  This person's history was not my first thought.  =
More forefront on my mind was the open heels with hairy toes sticking =
out and the eyeliner that made Tammy Baker look hot.  The only thing =
that might have made it more complete would have been a pink poodle =
wearing pearls and a sombrero dancing to Lady Of Spain.  He-Her-It, =
whatever, would have never made the cover of cosmopolitan.  Forget the =
political-gender crap, this was a skit on Saturday Night Live.

-------

I am both saddened and amazed at what this list has deteriorated to.  I =
have been on pianotech continuously since 1997.  We had a lot of fun in =
those days.  For all practical purposes pianotech was a coffee shop =
where one could put your feet up and chat and not care about who might =
get offended.  When there were disagreements we argued knowing full well =
that it would be forgotten and you could pick on someone new the next =
day.  Sometimes it was down right silly as we extended running jokes and =
puns for weeks.  I am sorry that those who have joined in more recent =
times will never what the full potential of this list can be.  With the =
exception of myself and a very small handful of others virtually =
everyone is gone.  Some of the biggest names in the PTG were once here =
including regional V.P.s, well known factory techs, even a couple retail =
people.  Many fine and respected technicians who have taught at =
conventions once swelled these cyber walls.  Even so it remained =
informal and we still chatted about a lot of other things besides =
pianos.  One by one they have left as a new generation has, in my =
opinion, spoiled it.  I have talked to a number of the past subscribers =
who have echoed the same reasons for leaving and doubt they will return. =
 Pianotech is now a ghost of what it once was.  Too large, too =
political, too many self-appointed moderators, too many being offended.  =
If I were to assign a date I would have to guess that it was when Newton =
passed away that the last remaining light on pianotech blew out.

Stop taking your frustrations out on your keyboard people.  Save it for =
the real criminals, there are plenty of them to choose from.  Pianotech =
is supposed to be informal, educational, fun, and a great resource tool, =
NOT a day-time talk show in search of a host. =20

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

"Visualize whirled peas, it's cheaper."