setting pitch with a fork

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:39:51 +0200

Yo Quentin,

Thanks for your answer, in fact the same was my training. My question
was directly asking if actually one learn that there are different
types of ratio, hence one can listen to beats at different levels.

For instance a 3:2 fifth checked with a minor third and major third is
checking the beat at 6:4 in fact, while if checked at M6 10th there
the 3:2 relation is checked.

One of the nicest tricks I learned with the different Us methods is
the 4:5 relation from contiguous thirds. I was instructed to tune
A3-F3 at a little less than 7 bps, while in fact on some pianos it can
be more, and on others a little less, depending of the inharmonicity
and the scale. Then the relation from contiguous thirds was a good
help, as this is a good way to manage a good octave to begin with.

Well in fact actually, I am back to my first training, , meaning, an
octave is an octave, a third is a third, and so on, but learning to
recognize and hear the beats level in different aural checks was and
is very useful. it helps to name for instance the kind of octave we
obtain if we like their tone in a particular region.

Is that theory learned those days ? (or is it still like in old time
where we learn to tune minimally, with a fork, a tuning hammer and one
or 2 wedges, plus a Papp mute (pince à cornichons) ?

He wave files with beat rates is a very good idea, a method that
helped me to listen to very fast beats was to thing "fly of the
burdon" , then one realize he can listen to very fast beats (mostly
for comparaison reasons).

I encourage any tuner to learn to tune aurally , of course, the modern
EDT will be a good help for that eventually, but indeed not everyone
have the chance to be in an environment where he have colleagues to
compare its work, and a school to learn the trade .

Best Regards.

Isaac