oh the horror!--Rosewood Steinway upright-restyled !

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:14:09 -0400

Dear list,

 I was called to evaluate a Steinway upright yesterday.

            To my horror this piano (1890) rosewood case had been
"Restyled"---1950's style---You know, the usual chopped off upper front
panel with mirror treatment on top.

Action parts and brackets-rails-capo etc sprayed with gold paint .Crappy
plastic keytops with overzealous sanding on the sides, leaving gaping
spaces between the keys.

            All this was certainly bad enough, but here's the worst---
The "tech" had drilled a series of quarter inch holes across the top of
the plate above the tuning pins and broke off approximately the top inch
of the plate. Only a few of the plate bolts remain on top with the only
pin block screws seemingly holding this thing together. All this to
lower the piano one inch! I'll bet it looked horrible at 50" and just
great @ 49"

            Surprisingly the piano was @ pitch and fairly even and I've
contracted to do a minimum of service with caveats galore concerning the
plate issue.

            Put this one under the thought I've seen everything
category.

            Tom---can't believe it--- Driscoll RPT