Hammer Tail Cove and SW

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:18:45 -0400

Hi Ric, Jon, whomever,

A related question for you, sort of...

I'm about to start evening out the SW on a new set of hammers  (nice ones!
:-)  I've measured out all the starting strike weights on a centigram
balance and entered them in an excel spreadsheet.  The curve is pretty
linear.  I only need to adjust out the jags.  I did a linear regression
analysis to find the best fit to the line.  I need to remove as much as .45g
and add as much as .60g (mostly just above the bass/tenor break).  What's
the best way to do this?

I presume the jags are mostly from slight irregularities in hammer width, so
is the best way to remove weight to thin the hammer slightly on the sides?

Is the best way to add weight to add something like epoxy or lead?  If lead
is the way to go, is it feasible to press small bits of solid-core solder
into a drilled hole in the molding?

Thanks!

Peace,
Sarah