Hammer Tail Cove and SW

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 00:33:37 +0200

Sarah hello,

Your hammers look very even .45 g is eventually how much felt you get
when shaping the head.

I liked the idea to even the progression at the break, till I thought
that , may be the weight of the last plain wire is also showing a gap
vs. the first wound strings.

Does someone experiment that idea ? I recall taking some lead (solder)
off at the break on a Steinway D, for some reason, I had the
impression the added weight was not better at that place, but I did
not thought of the strings weight at this moment.

A piece of solder can give you 0.6 g, but lead is heavier.
Shaving the sides (on a disk sander) of a too large hammer is OK
(assuming the thickness is the problem) but sanding the felt is
producing a lot of heat , it is a delicate operation (the felt harden
and get bad looking if too hot) shaving the wood on the sides does not
give you much weight , but is safer.

Others have done that process more often than me, I let them chime in.

Be well.

Isaac OLEG