Hammer Tail Cove and SW

Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:23:17 +0100

Sarah Fox wrote:

>Hi Ric, Jon, whomever,
>
>A related question for you, sort of...
>
>I'm about to start evening out the SW on a new set of hammers  (nice ones!
>:-)  I've measured out all the starting strike weights on a centigram
>balance and entered them in an excel spreadsheet.  The curve is pretty
>linear.  I only need to adjust out the jags.  I did a linear regression
>analysis to find the best fit to the line.  I need to remove as much as .45g
>and add as much as .60g (mostly just above the bass/tenor break).  What's
>the best way to do this?

IMHO the best way to add weight is to add lead ala David Stanwood
keeping as close to the center og gravity line as you can.  Taking off
weight is usually done by carefull sanding of the tail sides and front
being sure not to alter the striking width of the hammer felt.  The
numbers you cite are easy to accomplish.