Hammer Tail Cove and SW

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:45:07 -0700

Sarah asked: "Is the best way to add weight to add something like epoxy =
or lead?  If lead
is the way to go, is it feasible to press small bits of solid-core =
solder
into a drilled hole in the molding?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

Sarah,
I just reworked a Weber Square Grand action, that had 1/8th in lead =
"slugs" in the hammer tails. It seemed to smooth out the SW of that =
beast, a bit.<G> Of course, in th Square Grand the Key Ratio changes =
from key to key, so anything to make the darned thing have a more =
consistant touch would definately be appropriate!<G> As Weber, was =
somewhat of a forerunner in R&D, back in those days, I suspect they were =
definately working on the SW. (And here we thought the Action =
"Metrology" was a new concept?!<G>) On playing that beast, it did seem =
to have a smoother transition from bass to tenor, (where the keys got =
longer, AND, in this thing, the keys got THICKER!) Go figger.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I