1887 Hallet & Davis grand 40C scale

Marshall Connolly falcone1132@tmlp.com
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:58:51 -0400

Hello:

Recently met with a customer contemplating rebuilding a  rebuilt Hallet =
& Davis grand (about 6'8") which was done by a rebuilder for whom it was =
probably one of his/her first endeavors.  The work was commendable, =
however, I've been asked to make both tonal and touch-weight changes to =
the instrument.

Beyond the fact that the instrument has no capo bar, but rather =
agraffes, as well as agraffes instead of bridge pins, it is strung with =
sizes 12, 13, 14, 15, etc. A.S.&W plain wire(up to #20), without any =
half sizes.  My question is whether rescaling the instrument with =
half-sizes would improve the overall tonality, and tunability of the =
piano.  Since the plate was painted, it was impossible to see if the =
rebuilder followed the original scale. =20

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may be able to offer- =
especially if you could have encountered this particular instrument and =
have the scale on hand.

All the Best,
Marshall Connolly
Boston Chapter