1887 Hallet & Davis grand 40C scale

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:01:49 -0600

Hi Marshal,
Take a close look at those bridge agraffs. It would not supprise me to hear
that they have an off setting drill pattern to them. Up then down bearing.
I do not know if there was suppose to be a crown with this set up. Anyone
know?
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marshall Connolly" <falcone1132@tmlp.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 9:58 PM
Subject: 1887 Hallet & Davis grand 40C scale

Hello:

Recently met with a customer contemplating rebuilding a  rebuilt Hallet &
Davis grand (about 6'8") which was done by a rebuilder for whom it was
probably one of his/her first endeavors.  The work was commendable, however,
I've been asked to make both tonal and touch-weight changes to the
instrument.

Beyond the fact that the instrument has no capo bar, but rather agraffes, as
well as agraffes instead of bridge pins, it is strung with sizes 12, 13, 14,
15, etc. A.S.&W plain wire(up to #20), without any half sizes.  My question
is whether rescaling the instrument with half-sizes would improve the
overall tonality, and tunability of the piano.  Since the plate was painted,
it was impossible to see if the rebuilder followed the original scale.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may be able to offer-
especially if you could have encountered this particular instrument and have
the scale on hand.

All the Best,
Marshall Connolly
Boston Chapter