Locating Tuning Pin Holes

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:17:48 -0500

One problem I have had with mylar, especially for bridge pin layout, is =
that if you use a small punch to locate the holes, this gradually =
stretches and distorts a tiny bit as you go.  I'll tell you how I was =
going about it.  I removed the plate and drilled small pilot holes =
through a rough cut piece of mylar and the bridge under the struts.  I =
tacked the mylar down with a bridge pin or small nail (I forget).  Then =
went about tapping the bridge pin holes.  The closer I got to the =
opposite end the more of a "bubble" I had.  I guess I should have used a =
soldering iron.

Mike Bratcher
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 3:49 PM
  Subject: Locating Tuning Pin Holes

  I am about to replace my first open-faced pinblock. It is a 100+ year =
old 6'4" Knabe grand. My question is how best to re-locate the tuning =
pin holes. I can easily imagine an assortment of approaches that should =
work - paper tracings, marked-up mylar, etc. - but I can also imagine =
these approaches to have some introduced error also. Maybe the best is =
to do the tracing or mylar and just correct as needed.

  But I'm also sure that many of you have been through this and have a =
better feel for what works and what doesn't. The original tuning pin =
array was very nicely spaced for good string lay/spacing, etc., so I =
would like to maintain the original. Any ideas would be greatly =
appreciated.

  Terry Farrell

  www.farrellpiano.com