Hearing beats

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:10:49 -0500

MessageHi Ric,

I never was taught to count beats either by my teacher in 1981.  It was =
more, fast or slow or "the quality or characteristic" of the intervals.  =
To top it off, I learned the F-F temperament setting 4ths & 5ths and =
using 3rds, 6ths etc. as my tests.  Gosh, should I include that I use a =
C fork?  (Had my "A" there with me for the test.)   I have a little joke =
going with a well-respected tech about forming a C-Forks Anonymous =
group.  :-)=20

Hi, my name is Barbara.........

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Moody=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 11:06 PM
  Subject: RE: Hearing beats

  I trained from aural tuners in the early 70's.    I was told, "this =
third is too fast" or "this third is too slow" and this would be pointed =
out in playing a succession of 3rds either contiguous, but mostly =
chromatic within the temperament octave.    The first test of =
temperament was how evenly  the 3rds progressed chromatically.   Then =
they went after the 5ths.   Usually a 3rd that was off would immediately =
lead to a horrid sounding 5th that my teacher would sound and then play =
it for emphasis in an impromptu beer hall waltz. =20
         The progression of 3rds was sort of a catechism in the way I =
was trained and how I was tested.  They (the 3rds) had to progress =
evenly and smoothly.   I was not instructed in a specific beat rate for =
a specific 3rd or the mnemonic of how to achieve it.   Rather,  when I =
was told a 3rd was too slow or too fast , it was easily discernible out =
of the pattern of the even progression of 3rds.   So as I progressed the =
"progression"  became better and my fault finding reached the level of =
my teachers  and thus I became a "journeyman" or "peer".  I  realized I =
could  become as good or better through continual testing and resulting =
recognition and this continues today.  It is with wonder and awe that I =
realize after 30 years there are still tuners who are 20 years my senior =
and very much twenty years better than me and I still have much more to =
learn. =20
      You always have to be evaluated if you want to keep your edge =
which is necessary if you want to go to the top or at least be =
recognized by "top" tuners as competent or capable at least as their =
substitutes (as if they would ever allow such an opportunity to  =
happen,,,, but they do)  =20

  ---ric   =20

  "The more extensive a man's knowledge of what has been done,=20

  the greater will be his power of knowing what to do."

  Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881); British politician.