Hearing beats

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:06:58 -0500

I trained from aural tuners in the early 70's.    I was told, "this
third is too fast" or "this third is too slow" and this would be pointed
out in playing a succession of 3rds either contiguous, but mostly
chromatic within the temperament octave.    The first test of
temperament was how evenly  the 3rds progressed chromatically.   Then
they went after the 5ths.   Usually a 3rd that was off would immediately
lead to a horrid sounding 5th that my teacher would sound and then play
it for emphasis in an impromptu beer hall waltz.
       The progression of 3rds was sort of a catechism in the way I was
trained and how I was tested.  They (the 3rds) had to progress evenly
and smoothly.   I was not instructed in a specific beat rate for a
specific 3rd or the mnemonic of how to achieve it.   Rather,  when I was
told a 3rd was too slow or too fast , it was easily discernible out of
the pattern of the even progression of 3rds.   So as I progressed the
"progression"  became better and my fault finding reached the level of
my teachers  and thus I became a "journeyman" or "peer".  I  realized I
could  become as good or better through continual testing and resulting
recognition and this continues today.  It is with wonder and awe that I
realize after 30 years there are still tuners who are 20 years my senior
and very much twenty years better than me and I still have much more to
learn.
    You always have to be evaluated if you want to keep your edge which
is necessary if you want to go to the top or at least be recognized by
"top" tuners as competent or capable at least as their substitutes (as
if they would ever allow such an opportunity to  happen,,,, but they do)

---ric

"The more extensive a man's knowledge of what has been done,

the greater will be his power of knowing what to do."

Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881); British politician.