Teflon bushings: (was Re: Pinning on new flanges}

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:48:29 -0400

Sarah,
	This from the archives August of 03
	My query and Del's answer
> .... I'm curious as to other opinions on the list about this chapter
in
> action center design. Good Idea gone bad? Bad idea gone away for good?
> I heard an opinion expressed in the mid 80's from those @
> Steinway and Sons that:
> "The technicians killed the Teflon bushing"
> Inquiring mind wants to know.
> Tom Driscoll

There's been a fair amount written about this in the past...check the
archives. Personally I had very little trouble with Teflon bushings.
Once
they were set up right. I did a lot of Steinway prep work during the
1970s
and found the biggest problems to be related to the unbelievably sloppy
fitting at the factory.

I am aware that Steinway's position held that technicians killed off
Teflon
bushings. Surprising then that it was the technicians who finally
figured
out how to fit them and service them so they didn't click, rattle and
roll.
The one thing you definitely did not want to do was service them in the
way
that Steinway wrote about and taught about in their convention classes
and
seminars. In the end--after years of pressure from and by
technicians--they
finally adopted the tools and techniques developed in the field by
technicians. About the time everyone got them figured out they were
dropped
for an even more unserviceable saturated, gummed-up felt mess.

Del