Pinning on new flanges

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:45:38 -0700

>Well Don... I dont claim to have done any formal studies myself.... but
>upon directly asking some folks in the <<know>> at Hamamatsu whether or
>not they actually had tested this... the answer was a very firm yes.
>They said... if we hadnt tested, we would have no basis for not using
>plastic parts.

Ah, but that shows the fallacy of what they told you.  The have a great
reason not to use the plastic parts already - they cannot do it because
Kawai (one 'i', by the way) already does!

Actually, Kawai tests everything very thoroughly in the R&D laboratory. I
have also tested this myself back in the 80s.  That is why I suggested you
give it a try.  The wood hole does change size, but in a slightly oval
shape.  The difference in frictional changes when comparing plastic flanges
and wood flanges (using the same cloth installed at the same time under the
controlled conditions) is negligible - no consistent trend was measurable
in testing.  The normal variability in the felt overwhelmed any changes in
the wood, and the plastic flanges had the same variation in friction as the
wood flanges under varying real-world humidity conditions.

So you can take it from one who has personally tested it - what they told
you was just anti-Kawai propaganda, or perhaps a form of wishful thinking.

Don Mannino RPT
(Kawai Employee)