friction and dynamics (was repinning)

David's Email ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:57:14 -0700

If you are talking about high friction, yeah of course that's a problem, =
5 - 7 swings is not high friction.   The main thing you and Sara are =
missing is the wobble or lack of focus of the hammer as it hits the =
string in loose pinning.   The difference in tone, IMHO, isn't hammer =
staying on the string longer and somehow losing the higher partials but =
the focus of power...I can hear the difference and like the sound.   =
Sustain is improved...I've repinned several actions and the difference =
is noticeable.   I the same vein and I've mentioned this before...I've =
repinned a number of Renner actions here in California that had loose =
pinning in the birdseye not the bushing...anyone else noticed this?=20

David I.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ryan Sowers=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:29 PM
  Subject: friction and dynamics (was repinning)

  I don't buy it Richard, because as a player I don't have time once I =
begin playing a note to think about sensitivity. What produces a certain =
velocity in my fingers is the mental intension I have the microsecond =
<G> before I play the note.=20

  The biggest factor to me in dynamics is a nice "accelleration curve" =
from somewhat mellow and ppp to nasty and fff! If the voicing and =
regulation give a nice mp when I playing with moderate force, a soothing =
pp when I let up a bit, and a powerful forte when I lean into it a bit I =
have a wonderful time playing.=20

  To me extra friction just makes me work harder. Its a distraction.=20

  Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> wrote:
    Ryan Sowers wrote:

    > I just can't understand why lower friction and greater upweight =
would=20
    > decrease the control over the dynamics? If the piano is =
well-voiced=20
    > you will have plenty of control over the dynamics.

    Because things are happening faster. You use less time to accomplish =

    the same mechanical work (hammer to string contact efficiency =
asside, as=20
    its a seperate issue)

    You put 40 grams of force from the finger into the string... and you =
get=20
    more raw velocity out of an action with less friction then another =
with=20
    more. Lets use your draconian example... 20 swings on the one hand =
vs 3=20
    on the other.

    It should be clear that for any given output velocity/force...etc... =
you=20
    will have to put in more effort in the latter then the former. The =
flip=20
    side of that is that you have less time in the former to do w! =
hatever you=20
    are attempting to do. The window between max output and min has been =

    made smaller. On the one hand your fingers are required to be a bit=20
    stronger... on the other they are required to be able to exert =
greater=20
    sensitivty to control the increased response.

    Its kinda like hitting a baseball.... a slow pitch is easy to get =
your=20
    bat on... but a fast ball... On the other hand.... once you get your =
bat=20
    on the ball it will generally fly farther..... which direction it =
flys=20
    is another matter entirely.

    Cheers
    RicB