friction and dynamics (was repinning)

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:34:29 -0700 (PDT)

IMHO 5-7 swings in the middle of the piano is medium friction. 8-10 is low friction.

Its seems hard to get across that low friction is not *loose pinning*.

As a previous poster commented cloth density makes a big difference in bushing firmness. I have moved away from "reaming" bushings to get correct fit. I like sizing (i.e.alcohol & H2O) burnishing, (using broaches *without* roughened surfaces which remove felt. the pressure and friction generates plenty of heat that irons and compresses the bushing) and lubrication (I cant quite make up my mind between protek and ballistol, although I'm interested in how RicB uses the teflon powder).

If you treat bushings this way you can get away with more swings and still have stable bushings with no wobble.

David's Email <ilvey@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
If you are talking about high friction, yeah of course that's a problem, 5 - 7 swings is not high friction.   The main thing you and Sara are missing is the wobble or lack of focus of the hammer as it hits the string in loose pinning.   The difference in tone, IMHO, isn't hammer staying on the string longer and somehow losing the higher partials but the focus of power...I can hear the difference and like the sound.   Sustain is improved...I've repinned several actions and the difference is noticeable.   I the same vein and I've mentioned this before...I've repinned a number of Renner actions here in California that had loose pinning in the birdseye not the bushing...anyone else noticed this?

David I.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ryan Sowers
To: Pianotech
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:29 PM
Subject: friction and dynamics (was repinning)

I don't buy it Richard, because as a player I don't have time once I begin playing a note to think about sensitivity. What produces a certain velocity in my fingers is the mental intension I have the microsecond <G> before I play the note.

The biggest factor to me in dynamics is a nice "accelleration curve" from somewhat mellow and ppp to nasty and fff! If the voicing and regulation give a nice mp when I playing with moderate force, a soothing pp when I let up a bit, and a powerful forte when I lean into it a bit I have a wonderful time playing.

To me extra friction just makes me work harder. Its a distraction.

Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no> wrote:
Ryan Sowers wrote:

> I just can't understand why lower friction and greater upweight would
> decrease the control over the dynamics? If the piano is well-voiced
> you will have plenty of control over the dynamics.

Because things are happening faster. You use less time to accomplish
the same mechanical work (hammer to string contact efficiency asside, as
its a seperate issue)

You put 40 grams of force from the finger into the string... and you get
more raw velocity out of an action with less friction then another with
more. Lets use your draconian example... 20 swings on the one hand vs 3
on the other.

It should be clear that for any given output velocity/force...etc... you
will have to put in more effort in the latter then the former. The flip
side of that is that you have less time in the former to do w! hatever you
are attempting to do. The window between max output and min has been
made smaller. On the one hand your fingers are required to be a bit
stronger... on the other they are required to be able to exert greater
sensitivty to control the increased response.

Its kinda like hitting a baseball.... a slow pitch is easy to get your
bat on... but a fast ball... On the other hand.... once you get your bat
on the ball it will generally fly farther..... which direction it flys
is another matter entirely.

Cheers
RicB