friction.... another attempt

Ryan Sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not talking about *extremely light* actions. I'm talking about *very free* actions with low friction. These are two entirely different things. You can have low friction and normal downweight.

Bringing up Horowitz's piano confuses the matter by pointing at extremes. What does Horowitz's bizarre piano have to do with any of this?? As I understand it he also had super strong rep springs and hammers laquered up the kazoo. Its not a fair comparison.

I guess its some peoples opinion that a hammer swinging 9 times is *extreme*.

One of Bob's original posts said:

"Here's more detail on the pinning condition:
The thinnest treble shanks swing in the 5-6 range.
That's acceptable. The medium thickness shanks
swing6-8. The bass/tenor s/f swing mostly 8 - 10, some
7."

I think it's regretable to go through and repin these parts beyond evening up the few that stand out from the rest. If they don't wobble what's the problem?

Whatever....
I base my ramblings on what I have learned so far.
I know actually of just a very few pianists who were / are able to
really control an extremely light piano.
Horowitz was one of 'm....... and quite unique too.

Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA